Who can be treated with Invisalign?
Most adolescents and adults can be treated with Invisalign. We can correct crowding, spacing, overbites, crossbites, protrusion, etc. Before starting treatment, most of the permanent teeth (except wisdom teeth) need to be erupted. Usually this means patients need to be at least 12-years-old.
Is Invisalign really invisible?
Virtually. The aligners are made of transparent plastic and will not be noticed from a couple of metres away.
Will it interfere with speaking?
Invisalign aligners don’t interfere with normal speaking. You may lisp a little for the first day, but that’s about it.
Can I smoke while wearing the aligners?
Smoking is discouraged while wearing aligners because it is possible for the aligners to become stained and discoloured.
Can I chew gum while wearing aligners?
Chewing gum while wearing aligners is not advised because gum can stick to aligners. It is recommended that aligners be removed for all meals and snacks.
What’s the best way to clean my aligners?
The best way to clean your aligners is by brushing and rinsing them in lukewarm water or using the Invisalign Cleaning Crystals. It’s important that you brush your teeth after each meal and prior to re-inserting your aligners to maintain proper hygiene.
What are the differences between Invisalign braces and fixed brackets?
- As a premium product, Invisalign is a little more expensive
- Treatment time may be a little longer with Invisalign than with braces
- Invisalign is not suitable for all patients
- Invisalign is generally not suitable for patients under 12
- Invisalign is not suitable for really complex cases
- Patient needs to be disciplined with wearing Invisalign aligners correctly
- In a small number of cases, Invisalign may need to be followed with braces for a very short period of time.
How often must I see my dental practitioner once I have started treatment?
Appointment intervals are generally the same as with traditional braces but can be much quicker with less time spent in the orthodontist's chair during appointments as no adjustments need to be made to wires/brackets. Patients typically visit us every 4 to 6 weeks to ensure the treatment is progressing as planned, and to receive their next few sets of Invisalign aligners.